Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Heathrow

There's something magical about airports. I know so many people complain about the security protocols and the rigidity of it all, but somehow these regulations serve to make traveling different from the everyday: the finality of going through security serves as a symbolic rite-of-passage--a gateway of sorts to a final destination. And the hustle of the airports--of people with their own itineraries, holding tickets that will take them to many diverse places makes it all the more exciting. I always feel independence and freedom at an airport, even if I am only going back home or back to Provo. I think what I'm feeling is the possibility that is present at an airport.  I always pick the window seat if I can. Even if I might feel more cramped up, I always love looking out of the window and watching the ground grow smaller as the plane takes off.   An airport is more than concrete and protocols and airports--it is a key to the world. Someday, one of these planes may take me to Heathrow--and to the England and Europe that I have dreamed of for so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment